Bible reading is more than a pleasant pastime. It can become a daily habit that will change your life and accelerate your relationship with God and your spiritual growth. God’s Word holds out the promise of rich benefits for those who spend time reading it and taking its truths to heart. Here are just seven of the many ways your life can be better as you make the Bible your daily reading companion. All seven come from Psalm 119 -- a magnificent song of praise for God’s Word.
1. The Bible will help keep you from sin. “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you” (verse 11).
2. The Bible will lift your burdens. “My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word” (verse 28).
3. The Bible will guide your steps. “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path” (verse 105).
4. The Bible will bring you joy. “Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart” (verse 111).
5. The Bible will lead you to wisdom. “The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple” (verse 130).
6. The Bible will give you peace. “Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble” (verse 165).
7. The Bible will bring you back to God. “I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant, for I have not forgotten your commands” (verse 176).
So these are pretty good reasons to read the Bible every day. Start today. Read one to three chapters a day. Possibly read one Old Testament chapter, a psalm, and a New Testament chapter.