May 2017  
SMTWTFS
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   
     
Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries
May 26, 2017
A Love Letter
Verse of the Day
Our History

Although formally organized in March, 1949 as Redeemer Evangelical Lutheran Church, a Lutheran presence in Claremore, Oklahoma began in the 1920s. Pastors came from Bartlesville, Chelsea, Tulsa, Sand Springs, and Nowata during the 1920s and 1930s.  A mission chapel consisting of a red sandstone house at the corner of 8th and Weenonah was dedicated in March, 1947.  At that time the Claremore mission had 40 souls and worship on Sundays at 2:30 p.m.

Pastor Henry C. Dequin, a graduate of Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri received and accepted the congregation’s call, and arrived in Claremore in July, 1949 to become the first full-time pastor of Redeemer Lutheran Church. 
Property at the congregation’s present 5th Street and Seminole Avenue location was purchased in April, 1950 (for $2,500.00), and plans were drawn up for a church with an educational wing and office wing. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held in February, 1952. The cornerstone was laid in March of that year and the dedication service was held in June, 1952. 

In 1953 Pastor Dequin accepted a call to serve in Missouri, and Pastor Otto W. Meyer was called and installed as the next pastor. He also served at Trinity Lutheran Church in Nowata, Oklahoma. With more space for Sunday school needed, in 1962 and 1963 a building extension was completed.
After the death of Pastor Meyer, Pastor Richard Mayerhoff was installed in July, 1969.  He also served Zion Lutheran Church of Chelsea, Oklahoma.  Again, because of the growth of the congregation, additional building space was needed. This expansion, which doubled the seating and provided additional classrooms through the use of folding doors, was dedicated in February, 1971.  By this time Sunday worship attendance reached 112 and Sunday school attendance averaged 55.
In 1975 Pastor Mayerhoff accepted at call to serve in Texas. Redeemer congregation, with many thanks for the support of the Oklahoma District, became a self-supporting congregation at the beginning of 1976.
Pastor Albert Quoss accepted the congregation’s call as pastor in 1978 and was installed in December of that year. He undertook the task of healing wounds, uniting factions, and reaching out to the community of Claremore and beyond.
By the beginning of 1983, Redeemer congregation had grown to 341 souls, and the congregation’s facilities were once again stretched to their limits.  Plans were formulated to build a new sanctuary and use the existing building for educational purposes.  Ground breaking occurred in May, 1983.  During the framing of the structure, a violent thunderstorm hit Claremore in July, and the building was toppled.  Work began again.  The cornerstone was set in place in October, and the new sanctuary (with a new organ) was dedicated in December, 1983. 
During 1984 and 1985 the older building underwent remodeling for kitchen, educational, and office spaces.  In 1988 a preschool was opened at Redeemer Lutheran.  In the fall of 1997 a three-room building was constructed by members south of the fellowship hall. 
After 19½ years, Pastor Quoss resigned his pastorate effective in May, 1998, in order to join his wife who had take a position with the American Red Cross in Virginia.  Pastor Mark Carter accepted the congregation’s call and served as pastor from 2000 to 2003. The current pastor, Mark Burger, has served the congregation since April, 2005.